Friday, May 24, 2013

Modern Homme: Celebrating Father's Day with Style

I don't know about you, dear readers, but I have always found Father's Day to be a particular challenge.  My first challenge, shamefully, is to remember that it even takes place, coming as quickly as it does on the glittering heels of Mother's Day.    (Ahem, Father's Day 2013 is on Sunday, June 16th.  But I'm sure you knew that.) 

My second and more perplexing challenge is what to get dear old Dad.  The typical trifecta of Father's Day gifts (Golf - BBQ- Power Tools) certainly does not lend itself to my father's interests.  And while Mr. MF certainly enjoys a good home renovation project, I am disinclined to celebrate him with yet another impersonal Home Depot gift card.

In an effort to break out of my cycle of forgetfulness and gift-less-ness, I've been hunting through the inter webs for fun, stylish Father's Day gifts.  Here is what I've found so far:

The Hobbyist

Lego's Architecture series' White House.  Photo by same.
 Who doesn't love Legos?  Lego's Architecture series, designed for the 12+ crowd, includes the White House, the Space Needle, the Sydney Opera House, and Fallingwater, among many others.  The final product is small enough to be displayed on a desk or bookshelf.


Frescobol Carioca Lopes Mendes Set.  Photo by MSO.
For those fathers who enjoy some backyard sport, this Frescobol Carioca "Lopes Mendes" set would make a handsome addition to the rec kit.


The Gourmand
Olympic Provisions Salami of the Month Club.  Photo by MSO.
salami of the month club is a fun novelty - and a perfect way to make Dad feel appreciated over the course of a year!


Home Brew Kit from Uncommon Goods.  Photo by same.

Artisanal and micro-brews are everywhere now - perhaps your guy would like to try his hand at making his own limited edition batch of suds with a home brewing kit.


The Sentimentalist

Metalmorphis' Silver Keychains.  Photo by same.

These sterling silver keychains with a younger family member's artwork would be a swell gift for a father who wears his heart on his sleeve.


Photo by MSO.
Or even better, have your little ones customize a notepad for Dad to use.  This would be an excellent gift for grandfathers as well.

My search for stylish Father's Day ideas continues - keep track of my finds on my Father's Day Pinterest Board.  And, as always, do share any gift ideas you might have with me in the comments!

xoxo to fathers everywhere and us that love 'em, 
MF

3 comments:

  1. Father's Day was off my radar for so many years, what with having no fathers or grandfathers left to worry about, it always catches me by surprise AND I have a hard time with gifts! We've taken to Doing Things (for both Mother's and Father's Day) rather than giving things. I think last year for FD, Jim got a couple of new pictures for his desk at work, and we all went for a bike ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the idea of "Doing Things" versus "Giving Things" is a wonderful idea! It can be difficult to find the "perfect" gift anyway (not to mention financially impractical), what with all the little celebrations we have every year - M/F Day, anniversaries, birthdays, winter holidays. Great suggestion Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought I would follow up and let you know that I took your suggestion for the White House lego kit. It was perfect! All of the above are perfect, unique gift ideas -- so out of the box. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...