Monday, August 20, 2012

Modern Femme at Home...Making the bed and DIY Lavender Linen Water

I love making my bed.  It's a calming morning ritual that makes me feel I'm starting the day off right.  I love leaving the house knowing that my bed has plumped pillows, a fluffed comforter, and taut sheets.  And nothing, but nothing, beats pulling back the covers of a tucked-in bed, and crawling in between smooth, cool sheets after a long day. 

A couple of months ago, I added a step to my bed-making routine and began spraying my sheets with homemade lavender water.  Spraying the sheets not only imparts a pleasant scent to them, but as the week goes on and they start to get more and more wrinkled, it also helps to smooth them out and keep them feeling fresh.  You can buy linen spray but it's so easy to make that I prefer to make my own.  All you need is a spray bottle and some lavender essential oil, which you can buy at a Whole Foods or a health store.


Homemade lavender linen spray: Mix as many drops of lavender oil as you like with water in a spray bottle.  Ta-da!
You might be rolling your eyes - especially if you are not a bed-maker - and thinking spraying your bed is over the top.  But here's the thing - for minimal extra effort, I get maximum, multi-sensory output: my eyes get a pretty bed to look at, my nose gets lavender scented linens, and my skin gets cool, smooth sheets.  It's a total win-win situation! 

To prove it to you, I timed myself this morning to see how long it took me to make my bed, including using the spray.  It took me all of three minutes. See below for the blow-by-blow.

7:24:  Remove the pillows from bed, pull back the top sheet and comforter. 



Spray fitted sheet with linen water. 

Smooth sheet and tuck edges firmly under mattress. Pull top sheet back up over bed.


7:25:  Spray top sheet with linen water, pull tightly up the length of bed.



Make hospital corners by folding the top sheet up over the side of the bed, tucking in the lower half, and then pulling the top half down and tucking in again under the mattress.  Pull comforter up over the top sheet.

7:26:  Smooth comforter over top sheet.


Fold top sheet down over the top of the comforter. Spray with linen water. Put pillows back on bed. 



Spray pillows with linen water. 

7:27:  Put decorative pillows back on bed. 



Done! Isn't it pretty?  I can't wait to go to bed!

xoxo,
MF

3 comments:

  1. I think of you every morning when I make our bed by grabbing the duvet by the foot end and shaking it out until it's fluffy and then replacing any pillows that fell to the ground overnight. That's it.

    We have one fitted sheet, one comforter in a duvet cover, and four standard pillows. No top sheet, no tucking, no spraying, but lots of toddler drool marks from when they climb onto the bed while I'm getting dressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Troddler drool marks, to some, may be a sweeter linen acoutrement than any lavendar water, no? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Nice Post. It’s really a very good article. I noticed all your important points. Thanks"
    fitted crib sheets

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...