Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Modern Femme Entertains...Low Key Get Together becomes You've Got Mail!

You know how sometimes you go onto You Tube because you just want to watch that one video and then all of a sudden it's three hours later and you're watching snippets of late night talk shows from four years ago (ahh hello Craig Ferguson, you're adorable and I'm talking about you)? 

Or how you'll start thinking about one thing, like say:

"Gosh, I had a really fun little get-together last weekend, let me write a quick blog post about it."

And you'll then find a picture of the simple and yummy spread that you threw together the morning of the aforementioned get-together to post:


And because the get-together was centered around fall flavors and a homecoming parade for a local university, you'll start thinking about fall, and homecoming events, and your time at school.  And then you'll think about how, even though the last time you set foot on a campus was 12 years ago, fall foliage and sunny days with cool afternoons make you think of the excitement of going back to school and getting brand new school supplies, and then you think of:


That really wonderful quote from "You've Got Mail," about pencil bouquets, which you can't quite remember, so you scoot over to IMDB to look the movie's memorable quotes page, which is how you stumble upon this quote:

Joe Fox: You know, sometimes I wonder...
Kathleen Kelly: What?
Joe Fox: Well... if I hadn't been Fox Books and you hadn't been The Shop Around the Corner, and you and I had just, well, met...
Kathleen Kelly: I know.
Joe Fox: Yeah. I would have asked for your number, and I wouldn't have been able to wait twenty-four hours before calling you and saying, "Hey, how about... oh, how about some coffee or, you know, drinks or dinner or a movie... for as long as we both shall live?"
Kathleen Kelly: Joe...
Joe Fox: And you and I would have never been at war. And the only thing we'd fight about would be which video to rent on a Saturday night.
Kathleen Kelly: Well, who fights about that?
Joe Fox: Well, some people. Not us.
Kathleen Kelly: We would never.
Joe Fox: If only.
Kathleen Kelly: [pause] I gotta go.
Joe Fox: Well, let me ask you something. How can you forgive this guy for standing you up and not forgive me for this tiny little thing of... of putting you out of business?
[Kathleen starts to cry]
Joe Fox: Oh, how I wish you would.
Kathleen Kelly: I really have to go.
Joe Fox: Yeah, well... you don't want to be late.


And you read the quote like three times in a row, because it's just the sweetest thing ever.  You can remember Tom Hanks delivering those lines to Meg Ryan and you wish that this scene could have been a moment from your life, because every Modern Femme deserves to have a guy say to her "I wouldn't have been able to wait twenty-four hours before calling you and saying, "Hey, how about... oh, how about some coffee or, you know, drinks or dinner or a movie... for as long as we both shall live?"

And then you think...why am I on IMDB?  What was I going to post about?

Fall's got me,
xoxo
MF

PS - the pencil bouquet line is "Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...