Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Modern Femme loves...Vintage Wrapping Paper

To me, wrapping paper is so much more than the material meant to cover an object, only to be torn off and discarded.  Wrapping paper is the front line of a gift, a method of communicating to the recipient how much you care for them, especially if you took the time to wrap something beautifully. 

I love it when Christmas rolls around and you can unload colorfully wrapped gifts from your boat bags to strew under the tree.  I love handing over a birthday gift that is cheerfully colored with jaunty bows, or a bridal shower gift that is elegantly wrapped.  Nothing is worse than handing someone a gift in cheap paper that you can see through, with a droopy bow sagging on top, or crinkled corners tearing at the sides.  "It wasn't a problem to buy it, but lord I didn't want to spend a single second on making it look nice for you."  That's what it says to me.  

If you're anything like me, and enjoy the process of packaging a gift as much as the giving of the gift, then have I got the store for you.  The Goose and the Hound is an Etsy Shop that sells vintage wrapping paper.  When I look at some of their prints, I can hear the story of the gifts they could wrap around:


I'm so proud of you - I can't believe my little girl is playing Beatrice in the community theater production of "Much Ado About Nothing!"  You were wonderful, you brought tears to my eyes.  A mother couldn't be prouder.  Your father and I got you something to celebrate.  Go on, open it.   Yes, it's from Tiffany's - a star necklace for our star. You're welcome darling.  Here, let your father put it on you.  Oh, it's perfect!  Will you wear it at tonight's performance?  You will? Oh I know, I'm silly, here I go, crying again!



You've been working so hard, I think it's time you took a little time for you.  I put in some calls, and that villa you love on the beach in St. Martin is available.  Don't say anything else, I've already packed your bags - and here's something to open on the way to the airport.  It's just some Coppertone, a new ikat swimsuit, and Justin Cronin's latest book but it's a good start.  Let's go, the taxi's waiting.



I found you in the library, curled up in your favorite leather chair in front of a roaring fire as the snow came down outside.  I help myself to a cup of tea from the tray and watch as you nibble on a biscuit.  Your two hunting dogs are dozing at your feet, and you mention that Cook is preparing a feast of Oysters a la Russe, Calvados Duck, asparagus with Hollandaise, and Waldorf Pudding for tonight's dinner.  That tiresome Count will be coming, and do I think you should wear the pearls from the Orient, or the maharajah's rubies?  I wonder if now is the best time to give you the gift I bought, the complete boxed set of Downton Abbey, but you look so lovely with the firelight in your hair that I can't help myself.



I bought the cottage in West Palm Beach.  You were right - carpe diem.  Remember that chameleon that we saw by the pool?  He's there every morning when I go outside with my coffee.  I like to think he's making sure I start my day off right by spending some time on the chaise lounge.  Anyway, thanks for helping me bite the bullet - and as a token of my appreciation, I got you those Jack Rogers you were eyeing, so you'll always remember our time on Florida's Gold Coast.


Wasn't that fun?  I love spending Saturday afternoons on the Sound.  You could see Long Island perfectly today.  Maybe tomorrow we can sail to Oyster Bay - only if you don't have anything else going on, I know what August can be like.   Are you sure you don't want that last piece of fried chicken?  I can't eat another bite, but I think maybe just one more rum punch. Oh, by the way, before I forget, I got you a little something in town today.  Oh no, please don't - it's nothing, just that melamine tray that I saw you admiring.  I know, they're great for outdoor entertaining, aren't they?  Just wipe and go. You're welcome dear, don't mention it.  Will you stay for one more dockside drink?  No?  Okay, don't forgot your hat, and if you're up for another sail tomorrow, just call me in the morning.



 Okay, does everyone have their glasses?  A toast then, in celebration of the newest - and youngest - PARTNER at the firm!  You did it girl!  We knew you could.  And here's something from the four of us for you.  Go on! Open it!  Eeeee!!! Do you like it?  I know, I saw you admiring a similar cocktail ring in Barney's and we thought, you know, now that you're a big shot, you should have some bling to match your fancy new office!  Aww, no, don't cry sweetie.  You've earned it!

See all these prints and many more, along with vintage cards and wrapping seals at The Goose and the Hound.

Yours in printed bliss,
xoxo,
MF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...