Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Modern Femme makes...Homemade Bebe Food

Bebe has started eating solids.  It's a joy to watch him discover new tastes, and decide what he does like (sweet potatoes, pears, apples, peas, butternut squash), what he doesn't like (zucchini), and what he's on the fence about (carrots, beets).

 I've been making Bebe's food at home.  It's so easy to make baby food, and in our house where penny pinching has become an Olympic event, you can't beat the price.  I either steam or roast the fruits and veggies, and then puree them in the blender.  Steaming takes all of 10 minutes, while roasting takes a bit longer, but either way, it's pretty low fuss.  I use tools that I already had in my kitchen, like a steamer basket, roasting trays, blender, etc.

After I make the food, I let it cool before portioning it in trays and sticking it in the freezer.  Once the food is frozen, I pop the cubes into Ziploc baggies.  

The colorful finished products.  Top row, left to right: Zucchini, Peas, Pears. Bottom row, left to right: Sweet potatoes, Apples, Carrots, Butternut Squash, Beets.

I'm drawing inspiration from the following cookbooks:  The Best Homemade Baby Food on the PlanetStart Fresh: Your Child's Jump Start to Lifelong Healthy Eating, and Cooking Light First Foods

I'm thinking this weekend I'll try out roasted carrots (to see if Bebe likes the roasted flavor better than just steamed carrots) and maybe roasted cauliflower!  Let me know in the comments if there are any fruits and veggies that you think I should try.

xoxo,
MF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...