Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Modern Femme at Home...Getting ready for the change-up

As I mentioned in an earlier post about routines, my morning routine will be changing next week when Bebe transitions from a daycare center near Mr. MF's work to a nanny-share near our house.  I've been thinking about what this means for my morning routine and have begun trying to adjust my activities this week in anticipation for the big change up next week. 

Here's what I've been considering.  Before 8:00 am on any given workday, the following things have to happen:
  • Prepare new bottles for Bebe
  • Wash breastpump storage bottles, repack bottles for new day's pumping
  • Prepare coffee, wash coffee pot and accessories
  • Unload dish rack, put away clean plates
  • Walk dog
  • Feed dog and cat
  • Nurse Bebe, dress Bebe
  • Shower, dress
  • Pack lunches for Mr. MF and myself
  • Prepare breakfast for Mr. MF and myself
  • Make bed
Typically, these events have unfolded over the course of 8:30 pm to 8:00 am.  But that was on the old routine. 

With the new routine, there are two major factors I have to contend with.  The first is that I will be losing 20 minutes every morning, as Bebe and I will have to leave the house around 7:40, as opposed to my current departure time of 8:00 am.  The second is that I will have Bebe with me in the morning, which puts a serious dent in what I am able to get done around the house.  For example, since I don't want to schlep Bebe around with me on the dog's walk and I don't want to leave Bebe unsupervised when I'm in the shower, I have to reconsider when I will do those two things. 

In order to deal with the loss of 20 minutes, I've decided to do as much as I can in the evening to prepare for the coming workday.  To deal with Bebe being with me in the morning, I've decided to rearrange my morning schedule to front-load walking the dog and taking my shower (two things that happen in the middle and end of my routine, respectively) while Mr. MF is still in the house.  Here's how I'm thinking things will run:

The night before:
  • Prepare new bottles for Bebe
  • Wash breast pump storage bottles, repack bottles for new day's pumping
  • Prepare coffee
  • Pack lunches for Mr. MF and myself
  • Prepare breakfast for Mr. MF and myself
  • Set out next day's clothes for MF and Bebe
The next morning (in order of occurrence):

  • Walk dog
  • Feed dog and cat
  • Make bed
  • Shower
  • Nurse Bebe, dress Bebe
  • Wash coffee pot and accessories
  • Dress for day

  • I'm sure that there are things I'm forgetting, and there are always little miscellaneous to-dos on any given day that I try and get done before I leave the house.  I'd like for the transition to the new routine to be as smooth as possible.  I'm going to keep practicing this set-up and I'll update you all at the end of next week as to how it's unfolded!

    xoxo,
    MF

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...