Thursday, September 20, 2012

Modern Femme gets away...Fall foliage trip!

Mr. MF and I are both originally from New England.  For decades we grew up taking for granted the splendor of a vibrant fall landscape.  My family has a house in Vermont, and I remember spending warm fall days there surrounded by mountains that looked like they were on fire with thousands of red, orange and gold leaves.

Mr. MF and I have been residents of the mid-Atlantic region for going on six years now, and while we still get to appreciate the changing colors of fall, we're long overdue for a full blown New England-style leaf peeping tour.  And where better to enjoy some fall foliage in the mid-Atlantic than the mountains of wild and wonderful West Virginia?
 
West Virginia Department of Commerce

The thought of leaf strewn roads, vibrant red and glowing orange leaves, and a warm hazy fall day makes me long for chunky cable knit sweaters, mugs of warm apple cider and cinnamon sugar doughnuts. 


  
West Virginia Department of Commerce

 Have you ever canoed on a lake in the fall?  It's beautiful to be out on the water with a panoramic view of the surrounding leaves, soaking up the warm rays of the sun, with a thermos of hot chocolate to ward off the chills from the breeze.


West Virginia Department of Commerce
Just looking at these photos makes my heart pitter patter.  If I didn't know better, I'd think that the photo above was a twisting turn along a Vermont highway.  This picture makes me think of lunches at a roadside restaurant - warm bowls of hearty soup, sandwiches on crusty bread and a refreshing Ocktoberfest brew. 

Midland National Trail
I'm so excited to take a day trip through West Virginia and get my leaf-peeping on.  For those of you in the area, you can find information on driving tours through West Virginia at Midland National Trail and The Coal Heritage Trail

xoxo,
MF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...