Friday, November 2, 2012

Full Disclosure Series...All the single parents

Last night, as I walked in the front door of my house, I knew I was done for.

The dining room table was covered in a jumble of Halloween decorations, interspersed with diaper bags, flashlights, our NOAA radio, batteries, a couple of jackets, and a cat.

The living room couch still had half of a cow costume on it, and about twenty copies of Home Beautiful that have been doing a circuit around the living room, from end table, to coffee table, to bench, to couch as *someone* swears she'll go through them and rip out pictures she likes to put in her interior design file.  Someday.

Every speck of counter top in the kitchen had something on it: cookbooks, soaking bowls with Bebe's bottles in them - the water long gone cold and the soap bubbles flat, clean Tupperware containers that should have been put away days ago, bowls of non-perishable fruit that were slowly perishing, and randomly enough, an umbrella. 

I'm not even going to describe what the master bedroom looks like - but I'll give you two words to spark your imagination.  Clothes.  Cyclone.

As I've mentioned before, I'm easily overwhelmed by visual clutter, and as I breached my front hallway, I knew the night was a wash.  Bebe needed to be nursed, fed, bathed, and put to bed, and I knew once that was done, I was going to be about as useful as a mop without a handle.  Forget dinner, forget cleaning or tidying up, I wanted two things - to be fed by someone other than myself, and to go straight to bed.

And my beloved Mr. MF was up to the task.  That darling man not only defrosted Bebe's supper (butternut squash...again), but walked the dog, gave his son a bath, ordered and picked up Chinese food, and cleaned up the kitchen.   He rocks.  I must have thanked him six times before I went to sleep, and I was still thanking him this morning. 

Being a parent takes some time to get used to.  Somedays (like last night) it can feel overwhelming.  And last night, my respect for single parents increased exponentially.  After all, I was able to lean on Mr. MF to take care of the dog, of dinner, and of cleaning up yesterday.  But had I been doing this solo, I would have had to suck it up and tackle it, regardless if I wanted to or not.  And the only thank yous I would have heard...well, I guess I wouldn't have heard any. 

So, much respect to all you single parents out there.  You are doing awesome jobs, and I hope someone tells you so today. 

High fives all around,
xoxo,
MF

P.S. I am an avid fan of Law Momma over at Spilled Milk and Other Atrocities.  She blogs about being a single mom, as well as a lawyer, and (I love this), a reluctant vegetarian.  She's also a talented writer.  You should check her blog out!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the love! :) And thanks for reading, honestly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lady herself! Thanks for stopping by LM! Seriously people, go read her blog.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...