Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Perspective and early thanksgivings

As I left the house this morning and stepped into the cold misty rain, I was teetering on the edge of a foul mood.  I had a bag over each shoulder, an umbrella in one hand, and the other hand pushing Bebe’s stroller.  I had remembered my hat but not my gloves, so my hands were freezing, and I had thirty solid minutes of walking ahead of me.  What a way to start the work week, I groused to myself. 

And then, just like that, my mood shifted, lightened, changed. 


Was it a cold grey morning or a morning filled with beauty?  In the cold wet air, this tree’s leaves positively glowed a fiery red.  In looking up to appreciate them, I had to smile (as I do every time) at the cheerful, whimsical underside of my umbrella.

My bad mood faltered, hiccupped, and disappeared.  Perspective came rushing in to fill the space.

This morning, the rain makes me thankful to have a roof over my head that keeps me dry.

The cold makes me thankful that I don’t want for food to eat or a warm place to live. 

I’m thankful for my ability to enjoy a morning like this, because I have my health and relatively little to burden my mind or my spirit.  I’m thankful for the continued health and happiness of the people I love.

I’m awed and grateful to live in such a beautiful world, where moments of transportive joy can be delivered on the backs of fluttering, damp leaves.



Sky umbrella from the Museum of Modern Art Store.  Tree by Mother Nature.

Until tomorrow, be well my dears.

xoxo,
MF 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...