Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Modern Femme makes...Banana Bundt Cakes


I heart you, my little Banana Bundt Cakes.
 I love banana bread.  I love it so much that I hoard old, over ripe bananas in my freezer and fridge.  Lately, I've taken to making banana bread in mini bundt cake molds because I think the finished product looks so darn cute.  Especially when you pile them on a cake stand and cover them with a dome.  Decoration, breakfast, and dessert, all in one spot.  Yum!

Here's my favorite recipe for banana bread, adapted from the classic Joy of Cooking.

You will need:

  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (optional...I guess!)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Start with the "wet" ingredients.  Using a stand mixer or a hand-held electric beater, cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl.  Add the eggs and beat the mixture to a golden smoothness.

Next, sift together the dry ingredients - I prefer to use a fine mesh colander placed over a mixing bowl for this step, because I'm too impatient to use a sifter.  Once combined, add the dry ingredients in thirds to the wet ingredients.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl at least once to make sure all the dry and wet ingredients have been thoroughly combined.

Add the banana, blending well to incorporate.  Toss the your mixer attachments in the sink and get a spatula - it's old school time!  Fold in the chocolate chips, if desired. Pour into well-greased loaf pan or mini bunt cake pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes, or until done. A word of caution here - everyone's oven is different, so I recommend checking the banana bread after 35 minutes, if you're using a loaf pan, or 25 minutes if you're using the bundt pan.  Dip a toothpick into the center/thickest part of the bread.  If it comes out clean, it's done!

Remove from pan and cool on rack. Best enjoyed warm or cold, morning or night. 

xoxo,
MF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...