Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Modern Femme travels, le Part Four

This post will wrap up The Modern Femme travels series with some general thoughts and recommendations I have related to travel that didn't quite fit in the earlier posts.   All good things come to those who wait - these bits and bobs are the metaphorical cherry on top of my travel sundae!
  
Le Part Four:  The femme is in the details...

There are some things I can't travel without.  I don't know how I traveled before I had them, and now that I have them, I can't travel without them...
  
Socks on a Plane
   
Socks
LL Bean Wool-Blend Ragg Socks have a fanatical following.

The first thing I do once I've taken my seat on the plane is change into a warm pair of socks.  It is, hands down, the one non-negotiable facet of my travel routine.  Feet swell during air travel (or at least mine do), so I want my shoes off as soon as possible.  But because I don't want to track the dirt from the nasty airplane floor back into my shoes, and because generally I don't wear thick socks with shoes, I change into a heavy pair that will keep my feet warm and cozy in the hours to come.  It's my ritual, my thing.  It starts the whole trip off for me on the right foot. (Zing! Tip your waitress, folks.) 

If you wanted to multitask, you could oomph up this step by decanting some heavy duty moisturizer into a ziplock baggie, and then smearing it over your feet before you pull your airplane socks on. Warm and soft feet! You win.

See no Passengers, Hear no Passengers

Small in size but big in comfort!
For some strange reason, I can't sleep in a car or on a train, but I have no problem zonking out on a plane (maybe those little bottles of wine have something to do with it...).  Since I'm a very light sleeper, the only way I'm visiting dreamland is with the help of an eyemask and a set of earplugs.  I also need a neck pillow if I'm going to sleep sitting upright (or, more accurately, slouched over/curled in a ball). I prefer to use an inflatable pillow, as opposed to dragging a stuffed pillow around the airport.  One less thing, you know?

You can buy all three of these items in one travel kit, like the Case Logic Travel Comfort Kit , pictured above.  The benefit of a kit like this is you can throw it in to your carry-on or purse, no muss, no fuss. Just zzzzzzzzzz's.
Longchamps Le Pilage, the luggage champ of the long-haul flight

So, nowadays, it seems like I can't walk down the street without seeing a girl with a Longchamp Le Pilage tote bag draped over her shoulder.  I have been bitten by the Longchamp bug myself, though with a strange compulsion - I had to buy them at the airport duty-free, and there alone.  There was one year where I couldn't depart on a flight without having bought one.  Dear reader, I'm strange, I know.

Anyhow, most every one is familiar with the iconic Le Pilage tote bag pictured at right.  It's a classic.  But let me tell you my dear friends, you need to forget the tote bag, because what you really need is the Le Pilage Travel Bag
 
Longchamp Le Pilage Travel Bag, aka the best travel bag ever made.


You. Guys.  I don't know where to begin.  I'll never forget the moment I first saw this bag.  I was in the Istanbul airport.  It was towards the end of my "buy Longchamp bags in duty free" phase, and I was browsing through the duty free racks, looking at all the pretty new Le Pilage tote colors when my eye landed on the Travel Bag.  I stopped.  I stared.  I picked it up and bought it on the spot and it has been the best Longchamp purchase I've ever made.  Here are the top five reasons you need to get one today:
1.  It's deceivingly spacious.  I love its lines and sleek look, but don't let it fool you - I've nicknamed mine the "bowling bag."  I've carried a laptop, a kindle, assorted electrical chargers, my beauty and travel kit (see above) supplies, magazines AND a big bottle of water in it in one go. It's the little bag that could.

2.  It comes with a cute toiletry case in the same color, as pictured above.  I've used that toiletry bag for many an overnight trip - it can hold full size bottles of hair products, brushes, perfume bottles, etc.

3.  It's easy to carry around.  The handles of the bag are much thicker than the handles on the Le Pilage totes, so it doesn't dig into your hand.  It also comes, as pictured, with a detachable strap that you can sling over your shoulder or cross over your torso.  And finally, on the other side of the bag there's a panel that allows you to slide the bag over the telescoping handle of a suitcase, so that it can rest securely on top of your carry-on as you charge through the airport.  

4.  It's perfect for sliding under airplane seats.  Seriously, whoever designed this should be given an award.  It fits perfectly and compactly under a seat, leaving you with room to spare.

5.  Look at it!  It's gorgeous.  And I guarantee you, you wouldn't see one on every street corner. In the six years that I've owned mine, I think I've seen only one other person with one.  That's just crazy - this little (long)champ is the bomb.  Go on - get one for yourself today!


And on that slavishly enthusiastic note, we've wrapped up this Modern Femme travels series, folks.  Let me know in the comments if there's anything I didn't cover that you have questions about, and if you have travel tips or tricks, do share them in the comments for us to see.   
     
May all your future travels be swift, safe, and stylish.  Bon voyage!


xoxo,
MF


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...